Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Lot

The Lot
26/06/2007 11:50PM

“Hi, my name is Morgan, and I come from Malaysia, where do you come from?” basic introduction and mingling with the crowd. Ahh, the virgin atmosphere! Everybody is like anybody you see on the streets. They are nobody until you are acquainted. I walked in 10 minutes late to the lecture hall for orientation; I wanted to introduce myself to those around me. However, could I?

I’m a bit lazy to explain what happened, but I came across some nice people –hopefully they would BE that nice.

During one of the orientation sessions, we were required to write an essay with a brief introduction of ourselves and on what we did the past two months, basically to give us feedback on whether our writing is up to par with university standards, and not teenage high school sissy essays. We were given grades of -, V or +, or a combination of -/V or V/+, obviously a + is the best. So here is mine.

I come from Malaysia and my name is Morgan. My friends usually call me, Morg, Morggie or Morgz back when I was schooling in Melbourne. I’m turning 19 this year and I’m looking forward to what is ahead of me. On the second night of my arrival in Brisbane, I was brought to a club and it was my first clubbing experience.

For the past two months, I’ve been working at an account’s form back in Malaysia. Initially, I wanted to bum around until the day I had to leave to come over to Australia. But that dream was short lived when my mother told me to look for a job. So, I went around looking for a job and landed myself a job at an accounting firm. Though the pay is only RM300 (roughly AUD120) a month, but the experience was what I was looking after. Which later I was struck by the idea of donating it to World Vision to sponsor a child.

I was reluctant to wake up at 7 in the morning, (because of my debauchery in the beginning months in the year) but after it became a routine I got used to. Every time after work, I would look forward to the next day of work. The feeling of productivity at the workplace was just an addiction. Soon enough, I was learning the ropes of an accountant’s job. Well, not entirely.

Working full time during the past two months gave me the idea of how life would be after I graduate. Though I don’t really look forward to it, but it’s inevitable. Nonetheless, I would tell people & my friends that the best time of their lives or mine would be during university or high school, or both. Because once you start working, it’s a vicious cycle that would never stop. But my working experience was fruitful, I saved up enough money to sponsor a child and now I have 2 months working experience under my belt.

I got a V/+ for that.

Some of the feedback that I got back was,
Never ever use contractions. E.g., I’m, don’t, use I am or do not instead.
Never use conversational language. E.g., I went around looking for a job. Use I went looking for a job.
No informal language. E.g. … and landed myself a job. Use … and found myself a job.
Use however instead of but.
It’s hard for fluent English speakers to change their essays into more formal writing. Because we write like what we normally would speak to another person.

So people, if you are already in university and wonder why your essay still suck. Then perhaps you should cut down on high school style essays! And people who are going into university soon or in a few months/years time, perhaps you should direct yourselves towards more formal writing and cut the contractions!

On the night my parents left, I had to stay alone in my rented flat. Some of you might have the doubts if I cried. Truth to be told, I was more afraid of ghost than my parents leaving me behind. I was lying on my bed listening to whether there were any strange sounds inside my room and outside of my room. With the Grace of God, this place is not haunted. Or is it? Touch wood…

The next day, I started to clean up my ‘new’ home. I vacuumed & mopped the floors. Even though my floors seemed clean, I still wear house slippers around. But my bedroom was still messy even after the major part of the gotong-royong session.

I decided to reward myself with a late night of typing this post on Word (I don’t have internet access yet) and two bananas after I cleaned and arranged my flat neatly. For tonight’s dinner, I cooked and invited my cousin. After she left, the sink was full with crockery. My room was in a mess, or with a more Malaysian touch to it, my room was in a mess, feels like El Nino just swept through. So I sorted things out, filed some loose sheets and arranged my cupboard. Heh, I’m a bit of a loser here. I brought with me the Taylor’s College year book, formal pictures, formal ticket and a picture of me with my guitar and a friend of mine. Great memories!

But should I still think of the past or just forget about it. I reckon holding on partially is the way to go. So I don’t forget my roots and where I once laid havoc or shit on. Ha Ha.

Now my room is neat and tidy. =) People who know me well, you know how tidy my room always IS right?

I was emptying my bag, (yes, I haven’t fully unpack yet until just now) and came across a teddy bear I got for year 2006 valentines. Yes dear, I’m desperate for a good hug and so I hugged the bear! Childish, but in times of desperation, desperation is DESPERATION. I wanted to call you up and wish you a safe journey. But I don’t know which number you are using in Singapore. =( So sorry. I feel so disorganized. Nonetheless, by the time you read this. You are safe home in Sandakan! Ohh how I miss you!

Uh hmm, moving on…

I was looking at the formal picture after that, and I was thinking back at the conversation with Ronald over the phone and how he wished I was there to celebrate his birthday, and how I still miss them. It’s just amazing that the bond is still there; well at least I think it’s still there. I wondered how I would react when I see them again. A few scenarios popped up in my head. Well, I won’t disclose any of these scenarios because it’s just pathetic!

After all that emo-kenimo, I washed up the dishes and sat typing this post for quite some time. It’s late now, and I’m still typing. I do realize, every word I type take at least 1 second. But why am I still typing? Time is precious and I have an early start tomorrow and yet I’m still on my computer and not tugged in bed. Not to mention, showered. People, I’m wasting my time. Help me stop me from typing further. Okay, I will stop now. Stop. Stop damn it, stop! Oh cheese, I cracked my knuckles and that took some chunk of my time away.

Get an alarm clock?

Before I really go, here is an advert that I posted on the notice boards on campus. Just for the _____ of it. I post it up here too to let you guys have a look! :) Good night.

LOOKING FOR FLATMATE
JUST A SLOPE AWAY FROM F BLOCK!!!

Sensational position for QUT Kelvin Grove & Urban Village! Apartment is completely refurbished with new kitchen, bathroom, walls painted, new tiled floors & window coverings! Main bedroom is exceptionally large, and for new tenant/s! This unit is located on Blamey Street, Kelvin Grove. (Next to QUT Kelvin Grove Q Block, opposite McCaskie Park)

NO PETS PLEASE.

Note: Your room is UNFURNISHED.

Single Rent
Option A (3 months or less)
· $180 per week, including electricity, gas, water and cable (wireless) internet. No bond required.

Option B (3 months or more)
· $165 per week, including water and cable (wireless) internet. Electricity & gas would be shared. $200 dollar bond required.

Couple Rent
· (Negotiable, around $200 - $240 per week)

2 Persons to a Room Rent
· (Negotiable, around $200 - $240 per week)

If you have further enquiries or would like to view the room please email me at
Morgz306@yahoo.com or call/text me, Morgan @ 0415750590. If I don’t pick up, leave a text message and I will call you as soon as I can.

2 comments:

Wickedclara said...

(((HUGS!)))

Awww i really wanted to see u hug the teddy! will be so damn cute(or gay?)! LOL!

Anyway, ur timing is wrong, Im still in sg. XD But am leaving tomolo la~

Missing u so much,
ME. :)

Anonymous said...

update pls.
lagging=.=