Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Long day ...

Woke up to the sound of my alarm ringing at 5:40am. Quickly took a shower and laid down for another 10 minutes, for a short nap. Then woke up got changed into my subway uniform and off I went to the bus stop.

...

Got to work, and started preparing the salads. Never had a bad impression on my workmate called Martin, who is a german exchange student, though I have heard gossips that he is 'mean'. Never knew what that meant until today. He is quite pushy with things now that I realize when he is 'in charge'. I thought it was alright as I took them as friendly reminders. Probably of the cultural differences he acted this way. Anyway later, when I finished wrapping a sub, I quickly scribbled down "Roast beef + double cheese" and went on to serve the next customer, then he looked at it and couldn't read my hand writing, and said,

"What's this? its fucking messy I can't read it."

As most Germans don't smile a lot, it felt like as if he was insulting me. Well, I felt that way for quite awhile until I told meself it's probably the way those jerries talk. Then later when I made a sub and added too much mayonnaise, took it to the back for packing for a pre-order pick up, he said, "wow, it looks disgusting." That's probably the salads in the sub which are covered with mayonnaise. Anyway, it felt like an insult too. Then I was pretty pissed with the way he talks, it's so direct. But then again, that's maybe how those kruts like to make a conversation. After awhile, I wasn't pissed and didn't take it in seriously. Then came rush hour, today was seriously busy, boss made about double the amount compared to an average day.

Usually, there would be 5 people in the production line.
1st person ask what breads and take on some of the meats
2nd person ask for cheese and assists 1st person with the meats and puts it in the oven if toasting is needed.
3rd person takes the sub out of the oven, and do the salads and sauce.
4th person helps 3rd person with the salads and sauces and wraps it up
5th person would sometimes help 4th person out if all the rest in front (person 1, 2 and 3 are really busy) and do the cash register.

On an average day, there will still be a long bee line even though 5 people are working. However, there was 1 less person today cuz he/she was sick and couldn't make it. Today there was one person short, and we made roughly double the amount.

Imagine the work load, and how fast we had to go to finish one sub.

Of course, Martin, being the 5th person, (cash register) seldom helped us out and just went to the back ( for God knows what reason) and appeared when there was someone waiting to pay. But he doesn't slack, he just does things at the wrong time I guess. There was a queue, he could have put one some gloves and help us out, instead he went back and made some more breads, when that could wait for later to be done. One of my workmate got so pissed with Martin's bossiness that when we were walking towards the back to get stuff, she tapped me on the back, and punched the wall softly. Well, I could tell she was not happy with Martin's bossiness obviously.

Then during rush hour, she always asked Martin to get stuff when the cambros were empty. Never said please or thank you. haha.

Anyway, after work I wanted to ride the city cat (ferry) to the end and back to the city, just to have a bit of a breeze, but after contemplating, i decided I should just head home and not waste time. Got so much to do, yet so little time.

forgive me if i had any errors, I'm pretty tired and gonna take a nap now.
thanks for reading... and sorry long time no updates!

1 comment:

Jie Yi said...

take a nap in the city cat.
treasure the city cat man!!
remember how i sleep there though i am tired. you should try!