Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Happy- go- lucky

The feeling of being unable to succeed, or midway. Who likes that? I’m sure most of you have worked so hard for an assignment or exam and the results come back disappointing. Then the thought of smoking the unit becomes a pipe dream that instant, you start to count the marks if you are going to pass that subject. Pure horror.

It lets you down, it haunts you, it gives you sleepless nights.

Until you become bald eventually.



Bald

Picture used for illustration purposes only.

But the lesson behind it is not to give up, it’s there to give you a reality check that university life is not that simple. It could be for those who are naturally born a genius, plays like there is no tomorrow and have formulas and philosophic thoughts while dreaming. You are not one of them, so you will just have to go through the extra length to go for consultation, spend countless hours on an assignment and eat and lose your virginity and sleep with many books as if you were a filthy whore. I’ve learnt in terms of luck with gambling, I have nil. Where as my friend wins a couple of hundred with the same capital I started off with. 

I’ve tried many times at the casino but ended up going home with empty pockets. I guess the message behind it is that I’m not gifted with luck and money. But God gives talent and skill in other aspects, I wouldn’t say I’m absolutely fantastic at it, but I can see the whole picture clearly when it comes. I wouldn’t disclose and boast about it, but I have found what I know I’m good at.

“The mistakes of the fool are known to the world, but not to himself. The mistakes of the wise man are known to himself, but not to the world.” --Charles Caleb Colton

Having said that, think about what you are actually good at. You might be good at remembering things, good at managing your time, so on and so forth. Now, think about that thing you are actually good at and use it to tackle your problems, unfortunately, it will not tackle most of your problems, or maybe perhaps it does? This is something you’ll need to think about.

… Many times, you’ll find your peers around you socially better off than you are. You think that you are no longer a ‘cool’ person. But have you ever thought, somewhere in the this background, somebody is actually admiring and think that you are ‘cool’ too?…

The social pressures and tension, most people like to admire superficial things and some people are really caught up in it especially if they are admired. I think these people do get most of the limelight, but like everything that is under light for a long period of time, it fades. And when it fades, the glamour goes with it. These people who like to admire superficiality will realise the true colours and move on. And when that time comes, these people who are caught up in it, will have nothing left. It’s like fashion. Nobody longer wears colourful pants like back in the hippie days.

Here is a food for thought, why do scientist observe a wild pack of monkeys from a distance?

“Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise.” -- Cato the Elder

No comments: