I think I got ripped off from my boss.
Because the fact was - I worked for 16 hours last week
16 X 17.65 = 282.4 after tax = Around 278.
But instead I got paid 267 after tax which equates to 15.2 (15 hr 12 mins) hours of work
15.2 x 17.65 = 270
It's a whopping difference of about 12 dollars. Although I must admit that my pay rate is sufficient but still does he really expect us to be super subway sandwich artist?
The story goes...
Closing shift is suppose to be not bad of a shift. Because after 4pm at where I work, people start to go home and it should be less busy and this would give us the opportunity to clean up after the morning shift people. But unfortunately, my closing shift was so damn busy that we ran out of bread and had to call my boss for more bread from his other stores.
That means, none of the washing was done and more things had to be washed when it was suppose to be done during the 4pm- 8pm period.
We made him a fortune as me and my other colleague was serving about 30 customers every hour since 2pm until 8pm. It was pretty intense, thank goodness my colleague was a competent worker and we managed to serve all the customers leaving none walking away impatient.
That equates to 2 minutes per customer.
Putting gloves on - 5 secs
Cut the bread- 10 secs
lay the meats on - 10 secs
lay the cheese on - 10 secs
Toast the damn bread - 20 secs
Putting and taking out the bread from toaster - 5 secs
Putting on the salads - 12 secs
Sauce and pepper - 8 secs
Customer decision and payment - 40 secs (sometimes they take some time to make decision on what bread, sauce, salads and what drinks they want)
During morning shifts when its lunch rush we manage to serve up to 70 customers per hour. Which equals to 1 minute 16 seconds to make a sandwich. But that's having 3 people working on the morning shift.
However that day we only had two people working me and my colleague. So it's reasonable if we took longer hours to get the washing and cleaning up done isn't it since the time we were suppose to wash up was taken to serve customers.
We close the shop to customers at 7.40pm and only got out of there at 10.20pm. thats about 2 hours and 40 minutes and these were the things we have to do for closing shift.
-Clean the microwaves, bread cabinet, oven and proofer. 15 mins
-Clean the bain marie/ sandwich unit 10 mins
-Take all the salads and meats and put it into the fridge. 10 mins
-Wipe clean the sandwich unit glass. 5 mins
-Wash about 60 big and small cambros. (if washing 5 dishes takes 10 mins, 60 large and small cambros should be about 120 mins)
-Wash 44 trays. 15 mins
-Wash 44 bread forms. 20 mins
-Wash other misc items like sauce bottles, knives, etc. 15 mins
-Restock the drink fridge. 15 mins
-Prepare the bread sticks on 44 trays and 44 bread forms.15 mins
-Refill sauce bottles 10 mins
-Mop the floors. 20 mins
-Take the trash out and cardboard. 10 mins
-Move the tables and chairs into the shop 10 mins
-Count the till and closing. 15 mins
305 minutes = 5.08 hours divide by 2 man power equals 2.54 hours =
2 hours 32 minutes.
Still this is a rough estimate but I believe its a fair estimate on how long it takes to do a closing although some task might be more or less.
And believe me we tried our very best to finish up as soon as we can because we know he wouldn't be pleased with us if we took longer. But no matter how fast one can go, that's the best things can be done at top condition. We could cut corners and got out of there within 1.5 hours which some of the 'veteran' staff manage to do and that's what he expects of all of us, but they obviously cut corners because I was there.
Solution to solve this problem of exploitation, simple.
Don't work closing shifts, that's what I normally do anyway. But tuesday was an exception because he asked me if I could do one closing shift in exchange for my morning shift and I agreed. I should have said sorry I can't.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment