Tuesday, September 26, 2006

A good meal indeed.

It's been ages since I had a home cooked meal. Since it was one of my friend’s birthday (John), my friend Ronald decided to cook up a storm for 3. He had longed wanted to try out this recipe of cooking oysters, what a great idea. I’m always enthusiastic of home cooked meals because they are simply the best. So Ron decided to head to the market on Sunday morning, I simply agreed. Sunday morning, rise and shine, it was 7:45am, Ron said to be ready and leave by 8. But I told him to give me a call when he is awake, vise versa, and so I decided to hit the sheets until he gave me a ring. Half and hour later, still no phone call and so I decided to call him. To cut the story short, we headed to the market at 8:45am bringing along my ‘green’ earth shopping bag (which I got for free from universities open days, I know, how cheap.), it was ages since I headed to the Queen Victoria Market(QVM) to buy groceries. Ron and I headed out to the Meat & Seafood section of the market to get some salmon, then we walked around and see if there where other shops selling oysters because we wanted them to be as fresh as possible. After walking one round, we found a shop that just got their stock that morning, so Ron bought a dozen of them, while I kept track of our expenses. We then bought some bacon and lemons and headed home.

It was still too early to cook lunch, since we woke up early that day; we decided to take a nap before cooking lunch. Beep, beep, beep. Sound of the alarm ringing, I gave Ron a call and we headed up to him room. While Ron was preparing the salmon and oysters, John, Wei Loong (WL) and I stood hopelessly beside him observing. I like watching people cook, because it just fascinates me. It’s like watching an artiste paint a picture, but instead, you get to eat them. Slurps. After awhile, I decided to film Ron cook as it will be a good memory to keep in the future. Ron asked me the cut the bacon up into small slices and so I did. While cutting up the bacon, it reminded me of when the time I was in hospitality class back in NZ, learning how to cut up meat and vegetables into different length and sizes, the French terms for all of the different styles of cutting. But of course, I couldn’t remember the French terms, but I remembered there were French terms for it.

Ron further prepared everything, and everything went well. And soon, Xander joined in for the ‘fiesta’. We all waited anxiously for the food to be ready, the aroma of the oysters and salmon had already started to devour us within. And soon, it was time for us to enjoy the oysters and salmon, served with rice. We finished our rice within minutes and there were not enough, so we cooked another pot so our stomachs could be more satisfied. The lunch was excellent, salmon and oysters, honeydew and apple juice just for 7.20. Now that’s a bargain. Nonetheless, Ron gets all the credit for his cooking. A jolly good pat on your back Ron, job well done I reckon. Analysis of Ron’s cooking.

Overall I would give a 9/10 for that meal. It could have been 9.5. The only thing lacking was the quantity of the oysters, we had not enough! It was so good, 3 for me wasn’t enough. Some of the salmon pieces were over fried and the bacon on the oysters were over baked. Nevertheless, you did a fabulous job. All those were just minor mistakes. Well, this is ONLY and analysis of what I think. Other people might think otherwise.

All that cooking makes me think twice if I would want to live my teenage dream of becoming a chef. Cooking is really fun and I enjoy it. But let that just be a dream for now, but after I finished a proper degree in university, I might consider living that dream.

I would like to thank Ron for his great hospitality and sharing his great recipe.
Thank you.

2 comments:

Caranthir Narmolanya said...

You're most welcome Morgan! It was my pleasure. The only regret i have was that it took too much time to clean up and we wasted a day of our precious holiday-study-leave. Nevertheless, i enjoyed every part of it and i have to thank you for filming these precious moments!I can show my "cucu cicit" next time their daddy cooking up a storm for his friends! wakakkak WIshful thinking!!!

And btw, life is beautiful. THere are just so many things that can make us happy in life, be it the simple pleasures or life of some dreams. haha, feel all "emo" after browsing through old pictures of this year's events. Hahah.

ANNNNDDDDD (pun intended) wakakkaka i read ur poem , and i think i know wad u mean by mid-winter (nayhahahaha)

Errr...i also dropped a comment in ur pros and cons post some time back. Check it out and tell me what you think.

Goodnight!

Anonymous said...

Hmm...
reminds me of my dry porridge with crispy carrots:(
AHhhhhhhhhh, by the time i wrote this, all will know who i am? no need to explain much, only i can cook dry porridge:)
AHhhh, so sexist, never include gurls:(
OH.. shad, so emo now also after seeing ron's comment.
i dont wanna leave u guys esp after i see ur poem.
become more emo somemore:(