The fruit flies are out and having mass orgies at every location deem possible. They are plaguing my kitchen. These irritating buggers though have a short life span of 10 days, but they do come in swarms and it gives me the goosebumps when I see them flying around my kitchen bin
Facts about fruit flies
They live for 10 days.
Offspring hatches in a matter of hours.
They live on alcohol or over-ripped fruit. Fermentation.. yadah. yadah. You get what I mean.
I've searched the net on how to get rid of them or plant traps. Some are pretty cruel but they are funny!
here are a few... from wikihow.com
Make an oven trap:
- Remove all available food from kitchen. Clean the dishes, place open items in ziplock bags or the fridge.
- Open the door of your oven and place a piece of fruit (banana or kiwi peels) in there overnight.
- Wake up early the next morning and quietly close the oven door.
- Turn on the oven to 400ºF/200ºC for about 10-15 minutes and majority of your fruit flies will be gone.
- Clean the oven thoroughly.
- Hair dryer method
- locate the general area of the fruit flies and the nearest plug. Get a hair dryer.
- Plug in the hair dryer, turn it on (preferably to full heat) and put the back end of the dryer near a hovering fly. It will be sucked in and fried by the hair dryer. This is fun and highly effective! Trying to blow at them with the hot air doesn't work well, but sucking them in like this does.
- Make a plastic zip lock bag trap:
- Place a few slices of an apple inside a zip lock bag
- Leave an inch open to allow pests to enter. The little pests will soon be on and surrounding the apple.
- Zip the bag closed and crush each one with your fingertips.
I like the oven one a lot, but its unhygienic. Crushing them with ur fingers.. when I get to the point of being really frustrated with the problem maybe i will consider. Otherwise I'm going to go with a bottle trap, where I place wrap over the mouth of the bottle, poke some small holes and lay the bait inside the bottle. Let em come in and when they are all happily inside, then I will decide their fate.
No comments:
Post a Comment