As most of you already know, there are numerous flaws in the hostel I’m living in, no hot water during off-peak times, sudden heavy machinery noises in the morning, (really irritating, is like a jack hammer hammering against a concrete wall), people blasting UNCOOL music, HongKees talking at the top of their voices outside their room at 2 to 3am in the morning, etc. I’ve been living here for almost 1 ½ years and finally; somebody had summoned the courage to speak up for the people. This Korean dude, let's call him Jack, decided to go around getting people to sign a petition, a petition for the meal plan and internet. I thought it was a splendid idea and so I signed it. After a few days, I received a notice informing us there would be a meeting. I thought, wow, this #*$#'s for real!
Then came the meeting, everyone was there because we were about 10 minutes late. And so the meeting began. The manager of the hostel (MH) and the two managers of the cafe (MC) sat on one side, while the other people sat on the other three sides. The set up was like a forum table. Jack sat next to the MH; I guess he sat that close so he could bring the issues up. The MH started addressing the issues written on the letter by Jack to all of us, and when the MH started a discussion, Jack immediately started spilling real hard, he kept on repeating something about rooms that have no access to fresh air or rather, to me that wasn't what I bargained for, and I didn't care about that. And one thing that bugged me is that Jack kept saying that he was speaking on our behalf, which was quite true, but NOT all of us are having the problem he kept repeating, the inadequate access to fresh air. Despite the constant shot downs from the MH, (because that issue can be discuss in private between Jack and the MH), he was persistent. I was like, common give the MH a break! I want to listen to the issue concerning the cafe. And soon, this Fellow, walked in and was welcome with my friend's laughter, he told my friend off that he didn't like people laughing at him, my friend told him he wasn't laughing at him. Their skirmish was silenced when the MH told them is enough. That fellow then sat down between Jack and the MH and the meeting continued. Then came the interesting part, the issue concerning the food served in the cafe, the main point of Jack bringing in this topic is so that we are able to have the freedom to chose if we wanted to take up the meal plan. But it is clearly stated in the contract. Soon, people started giving in comments about the cafe. Jack shot back telling us that that is not the main point, but the MC wanted to hear them and told Jack that's the reason why this meeting was scheduled. Jack wasn't in a really great state. He did not achieve his mission at all. He tried to bring the issue of having the freedom to chose, but the crowd was just not into that, but more about the cafe. He sat there silently with fires in his eyes.
I'm going to post up some funny questions and remarks that were the main highlights during the discussion.
So these were the questions and remarks raised regarding breakfast.
My friend: "Can we have like a variety of foods for breakfast?"
MC: "We have actually taken that into account, but..."
My friend: "So how long have this hostel been operating?"
MC: “About six years."
My friend: "So you have been eating cereals ever since for six years?"
*crowd burst out laughing*
MC: "Yup, this is our culture and we eat cereals for breakfast."
Unknown: "Can you postpone the breakfast to a bit later? Because we find it too early."
MC: “We have actually considered but....."
*interrupted by the Fellow sitting between Jack and the MH*
Fellow: "Guys, I think the breakfast is too late, I think it should be earlier and 9 is a bit too late."
Crowd: "Gees! But it's a weekend man! Who wakes up that early?"
*more laughter from the crowd*
*Fellow stomps his hand on the table and stands up looking at the crowd seriously*
Fellow: "Then you guys ever heard of the alarm? Get an alarm clock."
*Crowd laughs hysterically*
*Fellow sits down*
This question was raised regarding the food served for dinner.
MH: "I read that some of you hadn't had dinner down at the cafe for 2 or 3 months because of the food."
Jack: "For the amount we pay, we can get better food then what we get in the cafe"
*crowd gives more comments on how they want the food to be*
Fellow: "Excuse me, but this isn't a hotel, if you don't eat the food at the cafe, where would your money go? to heaven?"
*crowd laughs their heads off*
Those were the main remarks that made everyone laugh their heads off. This Fellow is like the typical geek in American movies, squeaky-voice-collar-shirt-tugged-in-with-pants-up-high-to-the-waist type. He put up a great show I reckon during the meeting with his remarks, it made my day better, haha. But we got to respect him; he was brought up with different moral values perhaps, so I don't blame him. To me, I think he might be a hidden genius because some geniuses are like that; they just don't act like normal people. He might be a joke on the dinner table, but what's said on the dinning table remains on the dinning table but no where else. I respect him for who he is. I just hope after this meeting, things would change in the cafe because it's sad to see so much food thrown into the bin. *hopes for the better good*. But after I heard the MC's modus operandi, I didn't want to complain because what he said makes a lot of sense. Cereals served at the cafe 365 a day for breakfast is after all; to give us the nutrition we need to start the day. I sat there just listening to the crowd comments and the Fellow's comments. Thankfully the managers are kind enough to listen to our comments and take them on board, to improve their quality of services through feedback, it's good that they actually care and did not have the typical Malaysian attitude.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
LOL!!!
i really regreted for not going for the meeting, haha! guess Yh wanted me there:P
btw, great JOb, you must have took a long time to write all those.
good memory also=)
Oh come on.Give Jack more credit for his work.The sole reason he failed in his own quest is merely because he failed to deal with the right protocol.we must all be thankful to him for being able to raise all these issues which we were never able to bring to higher authority.You may sound like you are not in support of Jack in the meeting,but he does have my 100 percent backing,even if some of the issues he so passionately raised doesn't concern all of us.
Ron i know its u. Hahaha.
Dayumm, now i wish that i stayed in da hostel(or maybe not. Bahahaha!!) Anywayz, i also read the post abt Ronaldo's cookin and i gotta say, gd job!! Haha. Maybe one of these days before exams we have a cook-off at Ronaldo's or my plc. Haha. 2 great chefs at work. Haha. Get back 2 me abt wat u think.
Nope, Morgan, that wasn't me. I think it's Brendan from Sibu. He is only person I know who says "Oh come on" .Hahah.
And ermmm...yea a cook off, but not for now. Exams are too near unfortunately.:((((( Maybe after VCEs yea? :))
Cheers
Oh come on!
Nth much, jz wanna prove ron WRONG!!!
hahaa
so evil..................................
ngek ngek ngek, sorry for spamming:P
but then not bad also, at least it SEEMS popular!
GREAT!
Stop throwing my name around liike that,Ron.He who laughs first farted.
Post a Comment