Tram hopig, uh no. Although I sometimes feel like saving a couple of bucks, but on one unfortunate day last year, I was caught. I did not intend to tram hop. I just forgot to validate my tram ticket and I got caught. If weren't for the letter below, I would have to pay AUD 180.
Dear Sir/Madam,
I'm an overseas student currently studying Year 12 in Taylors College. Since the day I came to Melbourne, I have always admired how efficient Melbourne's public transport works. The constant sign boards and posters reminding people to 'pay their way' or 'offenders would be fined' really gave awareness that fare-evading is an offence. I would like to appeal that my fine was unjust and unfair because of the circumstances I was in at that point of time. I would like to explain my case bearing infringment notice number 1730873. I request that my appeal to be reviewed on ground (c).
Firstly, I would like to notify your department that my date of birth is incorrect on the infringment notice as it should be 30th of June 1988.
I would like to explain now to Sir/Madam the situation I was in.
After my lunch, my friends and I were in a hurry to get to Melbourne University's Open Day because we were running late. There were a large number of people waiting at the same tram stop. When the tram arrived, I quickly got into the tram and accidentally forgot to validate my sunday saver ticket because there was a queue behind me. Givem the situation where the tram was packed, it was hard for me to manouevre myself to one of the validating machines when I got on the tram. I decided to wait for the tram to stop at the next stop in hope that some people would get off. So that there was room for me to make my way to the validating machine. Unfortunately when the tram stopped and people wanted to get off, Yarra Tram Officers boarded the tram and started checking for the pessengers' ticket.
I panicked and started to look for a validating machine, but because the tram was still packed and people started standing aside to make way for the officers, they blocked the validating machines.- Same goes for when I boarded the tram hurriedly at the previous stop. Before I knew it, I was slapped with a fine. I told the officer my reason. Although I know giving the reason 'I forgot' is highly unacceptable, I was in a panicked state, I couldn't thin straight. Thereby, giving the reason 'I forgot'.
I'm writing this letter to appeal that my fine to be forfeited because
1. The tram was already crowded when I boarded the tram.
2. The tram was too crowded and it was impossible for me to even get to one of the validating machines when I was on board.
3. When the tram is crowded, people blocked the validating machines.
How could I possibly validate my ticket given the circumstances above? I was just trying to get on board as fast as I could to reduce delays. But when I was on board, I realised the tram was packed like sardines and there was no way I could move around and validate my ticket. How could you fine someone who was innocent and panicked giving an impromptu reason? I sincerely think that it was unfair and biased.
My deepest apologies for all the inconvenience caused. I promise that I'll validate my ticket first thing when I board a tram and it won't happen again. Sir/Madam, I hope that my appeal will be seriously taken into consideration and not fall onto deaf ears. Let's work together to achieve a common goal of quality services and satisfied customers. I hope that my letter will enlighten you on the situation I was in. And once again, I apologise for the inconvenience caused by my lack of organisation. I would like to thank you for taking your time reading this letter. Thank you.
Sincerely Yours,
(MORGAN TSEN TEIN ZHONG)
Moral of this post. Never ever do things the illegal way. Justice will prevail upon you if you did no wrong!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Muaha! I like your letter!
Next time if i encounter cases like this, dont mind helping me out aye?
Post a Comment