Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The Month Was... #2

Basically the month of February had its peaks and lows. Things started smoothly then bumpy after that. At the beginning of the month, I was pretty confident that I wanted to complete this damn course, but after hearing stories of what my life could be working as a chef, it gave me second thoughts. Life as a chef is horrible, early shifts, late nights, no social life. Imagined if you cooked all day in the kitchen and by night, you’ll be pretty darn tired. That was a real life example of what I heard. And now that darn poor fellow wants to quit and do something else instead. Sure, sure, the pay is good. But do I want to be ‘isolated’ from society in the beginning of my career? I would be serving people dinner on Christmas Night, or some other day because those days are when people come out and eat, to celebrate. And I would have to go to work instead, you get the point?
(no offence though to my friends in culinary arts, you guys seem to already have the passion for cooking and food before you even enrolled into this course, where as for me, I’m one blind lost sheep who just wanted to taste the green)


After a lil’ misunderstanding on my blog, a discussion came up, and I was given a chance to either pursue what I really want, or to stay on this course. I hate it when I’m given choices because you then have to make up your mind. And if you made the wrong choice, you are pretty screwed after that. And of course, I took up the chance. Because after much explanation and discussion with my uncles and aunties and parents, I was told that what ever career you do still comes back to business. Even if you are a chef, and (if) you manage to work your way up the ladder, you would still need to know how to read a financial report and make financial decisions on how to run a successful business. And if you worked as a clerk in a business, and if you made the ranks, at the end of the day, you would still need to know how to read the accounts, so on. So it made sense to me. In fact, it made a lot of sense. The advice given to me was from my uncle who has worked his way up in the agriculture sector.

Needless to say, once you graduate, you know nothing about the field. Knowledge is gained through experience. If you don’t experience it, how would you learn the right trade? Same goes for driving lessons, practical counts not theory. Right? So that was basically the bumpy part of it. I’ve made up my mind to do what I know I would succeed in.


#special for this blog readers only#
You know how the saying goes, if you can't beat them, join them. If you hate them, leave em'. Not only I who started feeling the pain in the ass listening to lectures, soon, my friends too get pissed off now and then, I thought I was the only one who is making such a big fuss. My friend was sitting there quietly, he suddenly then said, 'Fuck, I wanna change college already, can't stand it' That was during this F.U.B lectures who always have PMS every 4 days a week. Enough of speculating, haha :), I'm leaving.

Oh ya, F.U.B said today, "You see who always complain to Mr. Oliver (our head of department) that we lecturers take 30 mins to mark the role, now I only do it in 10 don't I? Don't know who always complain, but I know its one of you, always complaining." Obviously it was me, some of my friends whispered to me in a distance, I just looked back and smile at them, they waved high 5. To make this statement of hers invalid, during the first few weeks of lectures, it took a long and painstaking 15-20 minutes just marking the role for 120. The students were noisy, and some couldn't hear their name when its called out. When we went up to mark the role, they or F.U.B would gives us a scolding saying that we're not listening, just talking. (F.U.B is worst, cuz she would unleash her PMS pressue/stress unto your poor soul.) What generalisation. *rolls eyes* And I don't know what is the L in the attendance form for, because F.U.B would mark you absent if your name has already been called out. And she wouldn't even bother marking you late even if you walked up to her 1 minute after she called out everyone's name. How unfair and stereotypical on the system of marking the role. Professional? Perhaps not tolerable.
WE ARE IN UNIE PEOPLE. NO LONGER PRIMARY SCHOOL GOING KIDS. Even in all my previous high schools and primary school, if you are late, you would be marked late, not absent.

I've also detached myself from the single group and that's all I'm going to say. :)



Things that happened in this month
1 year ago, 2006
I was back at Taylor’s college commencing semester 1! I started to feel the pressure of year 12, SACs, now and then. Yeah, started to meet new friends at the hostel and school, and things were starting to pick up for THE GOLDEN YEAR.

2 years ago, 2005
I started my life as a year 12 student in Napier, New Zealand. I encountered several differences in culture and society. I soon realized the international population was a bit disappointing. Nonetheless, there were only a few Asians in my school. Because of the numbers, the social gaps between different colored skins were huge. Mixing with the locals (ang mohs) was not as easy as I thought. But the germans and the swiss (ang mohs from overseas) seemed to be going along pretty fine. Hmm...

1 comment:

Wickedclara said...

Single group? what single group? *wickedlaughs*