Monday, November 05, 2007

Tech glitches and social problems.

It's been rather frustrating lately, the seed that sprouted into a massive entanglement of vines seemed to have stop. The day the seed emerged from the earth, was the day hell broke lose on my computer.

Firstly, this seemingly glitch free device was serving me my happy days, surfing the net and occasionally gaming now and then. After I installed battlefield vietnam the seed has been unsuspectingly planted. When I loaded the game, the screen started flickering, and it obviously started to be really irritating. I sought help and was given the advise that my graphic card drivers were out of date. There it began, the journey to find a remedy to cure this poison before I succumb to it.

After a tireless search, it came to no avail. Soon, even my Age of Empires III game was affected by the viciousness of how this was spreading. The screen flickers in game. I had no choice but to back up my files and run with it before this device self destruct. Reformatting my computer was the only best possible solution to stop the plague.

However, after I wiped out all the files and the computer was supposedly good as new, the problem remained. My journey began yet again for the quest to find a solution to end all these misery I had to endure. I downloaded and installed so many drivers that I did not even know whether it was working then. Somehow it was. I also twitched some of the game settings and everything was working quite well. I left the beast to rest in hope it would never return.

A week or two later, I installed Battlefield 2. There was peace and harmony between me and my computer. Everything seemed perfect, the rainbows were out, the sun was shinning and I was happily playing the new game I just bought. The next day, the game was possessed by the devil. The screen flickered when I loaded it. I took my sword out and swung it left and right in the darkness before I heard a loud roar. Peace was restored once again. I blindly reinstalled the drivers I downloaded previously and it worked. So far, there are no signs of flickering when I'm gaming.

The next damned thing was the internet, I was experiencing slower speeds than usual 2 nights ago. So I thought it was time to turn off the modem, unplug the wires and plug everything back in again. To my horror, I experienced dropouts(disconnection) every now and then. So I toyed with the damn thing, restarted it several times, played with the ip addresses, called up technical support and still I experienced dropouts. I exhausted all the possible solutions except one that was mentioned while I was having a lovely conversation with the tech people, I exchanged the phone wire connecting the modem to the splitter with the wire connecting the phone to the splitter. That was the last straw before I would ask somebody to come assess the problem for me.

Today, I gamed for awhile just now and so far no dropouts!
The ups and downs of life.

When we meet new people, we tend to develop a certain grudge over time or hold a certain amount of prejudice against some when we meet the first time. This would then tend to develop into a malaise that would spread to the majority of the social group we go out with. Your peers would then start to agree and exchange dislikes about the person we throw behind our shadows.
The victims, -who seemingly have the 'wrong' or 'wierd' attributes to his or her personality out of the norm. Unfortunately, they would remain the outcast of the group and further sink in if none of their 'friends' come and reach out.

Shall we just leave them where they are and where we think they belong?

or

Shall we help them establish a more tolerable personality.

Although most right minded people would choose to reach out, it is not as easy as actually doing it. Firstly, we must take into consideration if the person wants to change. Secondly, is he willing to change his personality and habits after associating with it since the day he was born? Thirdly, is it all say and no do for his part in changing himself to be more tolerable.

When I was mentoring for the new intakes last month, I encountered a weird person who looked like Haywire in Prison Break, the chinese version of Haywire with a slight acne problem and wears glasses. In prison break, Haywire is the weird and mentally ill inmate.



When we were having our second hand book sales, I asked the chinese Haywire for the first time what course is he doing and he rudely replied, " I have already told you I'm in business." I was just trying to help him with book selections, because IT and Professional Communication students sold their books on the right, and Business students sold ours on the left. If he wants to be 'in business', I will not give him the opportunity. Certainly did not want to sell my books to him. That day, demand outstripped supply, so if he didn't get hold of any second books that day, he would either have to buy new books or go to the second hand book store and get some, if there is any left and cheaper... if that was the case.

I've posted my adverts around the campus for a room for rent. Last week, I received a SMS from an unknown person who says he wants to look at the place, I was busy with work and couldn't accommodate his request. He seemed friendly, starting and ending with the word 'mate' occasionally. I was guessing, who is this person? Doesn't seem like he comes from China.
Today I met this person, called Alex. He was the rude boy I unfortunately encountered during orientation while I was mentoring. I don't know what he found amusing, I was showing him around the flat and he smirked a few times as if I was joking with him.

I just felt like giving him a punch on that silly face till he really becomes silly. However, what if God was trying to make me learn to tolerate silly people. I don't know, should I reject the lesson and tell Alex that the room has been rented out, or should I accept him and just live with him for the next few years.

I'm quite certain I would reject him.

1 comment:

Wickedclara said...

Maybe God is trying to tell u that u're one of them too..

*wickedlaughs*