On Friday I went to work at 6am. I didn't know I was the one who was going to open the shop, since every time I go to work, there would be a senior (someone who has worked at subway longer than I have). When I arrived at 6.02AM. I saw one of the junior colleague standing outside, so I had a short dashed to open up the door and disarm the alarm.
After disarming the alarm, I quickly went to the back of the store and had a look at the roster. Tough luck, no senior staff are coming for the morning shift, it looks like I'm going to be the one in charge of the morning shift, considering that I'm the most senior staff among the 1 that would eventually come at 8am, and the 1 who waited outside for me to arrive.
I was in a bit of a panic.
But after telling myself I can do this, since I've done openings of the store a few times, with the senior staff. I was confident that I could make it through the day till 2pm without senior leadership, till the afternoon shift people turn up.
Half way going through the prep list ( a list of things that needed to be prepared for the day) my boss called up and told me to do the breads first and only do the prep list when the breads are in the proofer. (a machine that makes the bread rise) and then try to open the shop at 8am, if not latest by 830am. I said okay, shouldn't be a problem.
Pressure was mounting because some of salads or meats were finished from the night before and opening the shop without some of the salads or meats is just bad for the business reputation. I mean common, you open the store and when you walk in, they don't have the things you want, especially in the beginning of the day.
So I wanted to instruct the junior staff (Lisa) and the more senior staff than Lisa, Pom to prep the finished meats and salads, but figured later that those items can be prep within a minute because basically just take the stuff out from the packaging and putting it in a cambro and it's ready to be served. Plus I don't really like instructing people around, because it seems like you have became arrogant and bossy once you are in charge, but it fact, it's just the pressure to get things in place that make you become bossy, now I understand why the senior staff are a bit bossy and want a particular thing to be done at that specific time.
So by 8am, the breads were in the proofer and I started to take the table and chairs out to open the store. The boss then popped in and left some change for the till, he then noticed that the toaster oven was emitting this buzzing sound, he turned the switch for the toaster and turned it on again, and the buzzing sound was even louder, so he turned it off, put up a sign and called people to come fix it.
Everything was going smoothly and in place, but my primary concern was the breads to be baking non- stop until I had no breads left to bake. That was my mission for the day. I also wanted to apologise to the junior staff that I might be a bit bossy that day and that was because of the pressure, but I never came to do so.
So I was busy serving customers and trying to do the breads at the same time ( MInd you, the proofer and oven at any one time can take up to 24 trays of bread, but we have to do around 52 trays of bread in total each day and has to be prepared before the lunch rush, it takes 1.5 hours - 2 hours to proof the bread, and it takes roughly 12-15 mins to bake the bread.)
PART I
And when these two supposedly to be technicians came to the shop, that's when everything started to go down hill. Judging by the tools they were carrying, screw drivers, hammers, etc. I was pretty darn sure they were the technicians to fix the oven. So I let them in to the backroom and took this parcel lying against the half door and placed it somewhere else.
They were mumbling something to each other, but judging from the conversation they were having, it seems like they were expecting more than a broken oven.
They did some test and later tested the power socket to the oven. After all the testing and stuff, they told be they were calling somebody else to come fix it I said ok, and
they replied "that's all?"
I said,
"Yeah I guess so, thanks"
After they left, I called up the boss and told him that these two workers came by, here is how the conversation went roughly,
"Hi, it's me morgan. Yeah, these two workers came by the store, I think they were the electricians, judging from the tools they were carrying and I think they also delivered the poster parcel"
"Did they fix the oven?"
"No they didn't, I let them in, and they asked me to turn the toaster oven on, and after I showed them, they told me to turn it off, they then checked the power sockets and told me somebody will be coming to fix it later and I think they also delivered this poster parcel."
He then got really pissed at me with his indian accent, when I say piss. I really mean it.
"morgAN, WHY DIDN'T YOU CALL ME WHEN THEY ARRIVED? you know that you are not suppose to let them in without letting me know, you KNOW that, YOU KNOW THAT."
"But i was serving customers..."
"Even if there were 20 customers waiting, how long does it bloosy take to just pick up the phone and call me? "
"..."
"You know they start charging even before they arrived to the store, why didn't you call me? WHAT DID THEY DO? and WHAT DID THEY SAY TO YOU? and what poster parcel they delivered? Tell me, what did they do when they arrived? and what poster parcel are you talking about?"
He kept repeating his same questions and I explained to him for 4-5 times what did the technician do. The only thing that I remember clearly in my head now one day after the aftermath,
"YOU KNOW YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO, YOU KNOW THAT, and also "WHAT DID THEY DO? and WHAT DID THEY SAY TO YOU?" with the indian accent. In case you are wondering, my boss is indian.
"It's the poster you stick on the window, its like the one you have on the store window which says 4.95 sub deal."
"I still don't understand, if they were delivery people, how can they be carrying screw drivers and tools"
by this time he cooled down A BIT.
"Yeah, that's what I thought...judging from the tools they were carrying"
"Open it up, open it up and tell me what does the poster say"
"It says (what was written on the poster)"
"It doesn't make sense, if they are deliver people how come they have tools with them, I don't get it. BUT NEXT TIME DON'T LET POPELE IN MY STORE WITHOUT CALLING ME,next time you should know better, don't just let BLOODY POEPLE IN MY STORE WITHOUT ME KNOWING, I don't like it, maybe they just left to get some spare parts or something, and they will be back later."
"yeah, it was my mistake, I'm sorry, it won't happen next time"
After 5 minutes and 5 seconds on the phone with my boss, I felt kinda shit, Never felt like this at work before. But I told myself not to take it personally, because if I do, I will feel terrible for the rest of the day. Then I started to think of other reasons why he would just break out like that, perhaps he is stress, perhaps he has anger management issues, I really thought that I have done quite a lot for him, especially when he calls up and ask if I can work the next day when i'm not rostered for the day, 98% of the time I said yes and give in my time when I could be relaxing or doing school work. My cousin says not to give in if I don't want to. But I take it as work requirements, commitment, what's the point of working when you are not really committed? But after all these favours and things, he was pissed at me, all these thoughts kept circling through my head until it was the lunch rush and my mind was busy with making subs. I was okay then.
The boss then came back later after all the yelling on the phone and did some stock counting, after seeing how the sales was going, he told me to put the remainder 13 trays of bread back into the fridge. I did what he told me. I then apologised to him and he said it's fine.
PART II
When the breads started to run out and I had 4 trays of bread which was rock solid because I over baked it, and around 5 bread that are servable. I started to feel very worried. Lucky one of the afternoon people came, she's a senior, Linda. I told her I need her help that we're running low on bread and I overbaked 4 trays. She said well, I have to tell the boss then. After telling her my story she said, okay, just quickly toss out the 4 trays (16 bread) and so I did.
So the boss called up and ask how much bread with have, Linda was the first one to pick up the phone while I was serving, she said we have 40 bread left, when we actually have only around 8 left. After she put down the phone, she said yep, chuck all the bread into the proofer and bake them.
And so we thought we were in the green.
Later after 10-15 minutes and counting all the money and reporting to the boss whether the till was under or above, he then asked me how many bread is left, I said we have around 5 breads left.
He started to yell and got pissed off. Here we go again.
"WHAT!? HOW COME LINDA TOLD ME THERE ARE 40 BREADS LEFT? AND YOU TOLD ME THERE ARE 5 BREADS LEFT?"
I walked to Linda covering the mouth end so the boss couldn't hear us whisper.
"we are screwed, you told him we have 40 breads and I told him we have about 5 breads left" I whispered to Linda
"Uhh... mm, yeah I mean, hmm yeah we have around 5 breads left"
"ARE YOU SURE? GO TO THE FRONT NOW AND CHECK"
"I am standing infront of the bread cabinet and I see 5 breads left"
"HOW MANY IS THERE IN THE PROOFER?"
"There are six in the proofer and 3 in the oven baking."
"IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE, LINDA TOLD ME THERE WAS 40 LEFT, I'M STARTING TO GET MAD AT LINDA, SHE ALWAYS SAY THERE IS MORE THAN THERE IS ACTUALLY LEFT SO SHE CAN HAVE THE EXCUSE THAT WE RAN OUT OF BREAD AND WE HAVE TO SHUT EARLY"
"...mm..."
This time like last time, he cooled down A BIT
"Okay, I want you to make sure the bread is out of the proofer and into the oven, you don't leave until all the bread is out of the oven"
"Okay, no problems, I make sure it does. If we run out of bread, you can blame it on me, because I'm the person in charge, and It's my responsibility to make sure there is enough bread for the afternoon people."
"I'm not blaming you or anyone"
"yeah, but it was my mistake, I admit it"
"no, no. It was mine, I told you to put the other bread into the fridge because I didn't think we would run out of bread"
"Okay, I will not leave this place until all the bread from the proofer comes out perfect from the oven."
"When the bread comes out of the oven, make sure you leave a big gap so it cools faster, you know the front cabinet"
"You mean instead of putting it together we separate it so there is more air and it cools faster right?"
(I actually already know this)
"Yeah, that's right"
"Okay, No problems, I won't leave till the breads are perfect and that there will be enough breads for tonight, I promise you that. If anything goes wrong, you can blame it on me"
"no, no it's not that"
"okay then, I will make sure all the breads will be ready, and only then I will leave the shop.. okay?.."
"ok..."
"ok sorry...bye"
My shift supposed to end at 3pm but ended up staying to 345pm until all the breads were ready and informed the boss. I then wrote that I logged out at 330pm.
I know, I shouldn't be so relaxed with the whole situation. I should make him pay me more. But I believe what goes around comes around. Maybe it's a load of bull, but yeah. Let's just leave it to that.
That's that. Don't tell me what should I have done. I did what I thought was best for the business. I served the customers fist instead of making them wait, well the burnt bread was my fault since I was responsible for bread making, but the other staff saw the oven door open with the bread still inside and never took it out.
Lesson learnt: Always call the boss up even if its a little thing like you wanna go pee pee and you break a nail. (obviously I'm being sarcastic)
I wanted to call the boss up when the techies came. But I thought they were the servicemen for the toaster oven and so I let them in, whats the point of telling the boss something that he already know? But nonetheless, still call up and let him know anyway.
Analysis of how this bad event could have been avoided: Better communication between the boss to/and staff, if he is expecting somebody to turn up on that day, at least let us know. Instead of expecting us to be God almighty knowing everything that is going on on that day. The boss should be the boss, since he is the one who called the serviceman, he could have called them up after they left and asked them what the hell were they doing or /did in his shop.
I don't mind the boss yelling at me, on condition that he too doesn't take it personally, if he scolds and later forgive and forget i'm fine with it. Because he is the boss and i'm a staff member. He needs to be in control of the business and be in charge.
COMMENT REPLY ON CHAT BOX
TO Denise,
Yeah, this one is more private, I wanted to tell you last time, but since I din update for a long time I forgot. But please link this blog instead of the other one. But its up to you. You are welcome to link which ever blog you like. But you are definitely welcome to view this one! =)
TO Ann,
haha sucks to be you then back in high school :P.
There could be a number of reasons why you have to pay fees.
take a look at your banking and fees guide at
http://www.bankwest.com.au/library/pdf/PDS_20040121-160125.pdf
But otherwise you don't have to pay any fees for the regular saver. I don't pay any fees. if you don't depoist the minimum or make withdrawal the most they will do is you don't get interest for that month. Maybe you didn't submit TFN?
If you check the times properly, lets say if you clicked on monday you noticed that the name of the subject that is, government business society lecture & tutorials 5-9pm pops up. Its 4 hours of school time it seems, but I have a 1 hour break, I just can't be bothered to be THAT specific as in 5-6 tutorials, 6-7 break, 7-9pm lectures. :P hahaha. so yeah, its a kinda like a rough estimate.
To all peeps. tips on how to make your money and interest in the bank work for you, its not much, but its something after a few years...
To optimise interest earning, the best is to open these 4 accounts
A student account with master/visa debit card(so you can BPay or transfer $$$ to other bank accounts if you have to without fees and stuff, also shop online with no fees, so far none for me(i think)..) no account fees. I call this transaction account.
A saving account with high interest that allows you to transfer money anytime you want without compromising your interest (NAB's ISAVER and BANKWEST TELENET SAVER, these are the two high saving interest I found that allows you to transfer money to other accounts without cutting interest, NAB 7.05% and BW:7.75% - currently 8.25% with their promotion rates, then it will drop to 7.25% after 1 year) no account fees. I call this holding account.
note, these two accounts above are usually linked together. as in, if you want one, you need the other sort of thing. or if you want this one, you must link to the other account.
anyway next...
A BANKWEST (BW) instant saver account at (4.45%): 4 electronic transactions, unlimited ATM withdrawals at BW atms, min 500 so no account fees. I call this dummy account. (because we all know this account sucks most but need it for the Regular saver)
and the BW regular saver account at(9.0%): minimum 50 dollar deposit, max 500 deposit, no withdrawals. Withdrawals will result in interest being forfeited. no account fees. I call this the interest account.
Note: interest rates used here are extracted from Bankwest.com.
Let's say you have 1000,
Best way to optimise interest is to...
Deposit 500 into dummy account 4.45%, so u dun need to pay account fees
Deposit 50-200 into interest account 9.0 %, so u get good interests and meet the minimum 50 dollar deposit/month.
Deposit 50-450 into the holding account 8.25%, so your money gets interest when you are waiting to deposit 50-500 into the interest account
Deposit whatever amout you need to survive in the transaction account
Let's say if you have more than 1500 dollars.
Best way to optimise interest earning is to,
deposit 500 dummy account 4.45%, make sure you keep dummy account always on minimum ammount (500) to avoid fees
deposit 500 into interest account 9.0%
deposit 500 or more into holding account 8.25%
deposit money from holding account to transaction account when you need the $$$. but note that bankwest take up to 3 working days to process your transaction before ur balance is showned or cleared.
If you are earning income.
1. Always deposit your income into the holding account then only distribute it to other accounts.
Or
2. Always deposit your income into the student account then distribute to other accounts.
option 1 is the better. as the day your income is deposited in the bank, it starts earning interest.
Any amount above 6000, or once you hit 6000.
500 in dummy account, so no account keeping fees
draw out all $$$ from interest account
500 in holding account
what ever amount you need to survive for transaction account
Go open a fixed term deposit, so far, Bank of Queensland, BankWest, Commonwealth gives the best fixed term deposits of 3, and 6 months. They should be giving around 8.00-8.50% for their term deposits. Go to their website and have a look. Other banks like ANZ, westpac and NAB give lousy interest rates for fix term. Minimum balance to open a fix term is usually 5000. Though bankwest min depo is 1000 for ttddirect but 5000 for gold term deposit.
HOWEVER, bankwest telesaver which i nickname holding account earlier on is giving 8.25% cuz of their promotional rates. it beats commbank 8.10% and bankwest's 8.15% own's term deposit rates. So I suggest just stick to bankwest telesaver for this year until there are no longer promotional interest rates. OR go for Bank of Queensland term deposit @ 8.45%. Search the net if they have a BoQ branch in your city. But im sure melbourne has one. I've seen it.
Last tip,
Best combination for your money is opening four accounts at bankwest and one account at a local bank near you.
so far i have
HSBC online savings account ( really bad interest rate, 5 free atm withdrawals at any atm, no online trasaction fees) this account is so to deposit money, and later transfer to the holding account (deposit)
Bankwest (BW) Student account linked 0% to (transaction)
BW Telenet account 8.25% (Hold)
BW instant saver linked to 4.45% (Dummy)
BW Regular saver 9.0% (Interest)
Since I got 4 accounts at bankwest, all of it appears on my online banking page. So can transfer around.
because bank west has very few branches around though their ATM's are in ALL seven eleven stores in case you need to draw cash, but most business nowadays accept EFTPOS, so use your master debit card to pay. no fees.
Open a student bank account at a bank closer to you so you can deposit money instead of walking to bankwest, then transfer your money to your bankwest holding account. The transfer between local banks in australia usually takes only 1 working day, or overnight in some cases.
Any other tips you are after regarding this matter, dun hesitate to ask in the comment box. I've done pleny of research just for my own interest during my free time, i have saved you time from doing your research. So thank me!
No comments:
Post a Comment