Friday, October 10, 2008

$49 Telemarketers

Pass few weeks, I have been reluctant to answer my house phone when it rings. I don't know when since when my house phone has been open for business. Every now and then, there will be telemarketers who try their luck to sign me up for their product they are selling. Twice was about this free 'amazing mobile phone' with GPS, camera function, all the functions you need for only a stunning monthly fee of...

$49

 

Though they are not the same company because the first time a woman from one of the Indian call centres with heavy indian accent spoke so fast that she transferred me to her supervisor.

That's amazing!

I was interested in knowing what they are selling and they mistakenly thought I was going to sign up. I've told her I was already on a phone plan and wanted to know what company she was working for so I could perhaps consider it in the future. But to no avail. The Hindu Goddess of Lighting strike with all her might and did not even bother listening to this peasant farmer.

I told the supervisor I was on another phone plan and he said thanks for my time.

Next was another telemarketer who spoke lighting fast and trying his best to rap like 50 cents. Convincing me to take me to the "candy shop". He said his company is part of Vodafone and I could send free candies to all other "V-dafone" -Brendan, 2006 users. Which includes candy by text, and candy by call and could nominate a number for free calls!

ZOMG

 

Then I asked him, why would I want that when all my friends are on the 3 mobile and Optus network. You know he asked me next!?

"I'm sure you have a girlfriend sir? (which I can take to the candy shop)"

I said no. However I told him I was interested so next time when my phone plan expires I would consider signing up with them. So I asked him may I know his company website or name.

He blurted something I perceive as

"XDY"

Sorry? Can you please spell your company name out?

"XDY"

Hmm, I mean, can you please spell it out? He was still trying to Rap.

"XDY"

I asked him about 5-6 times then I just gave up and said, okay. Thanks for calling, I will consider it next time.

Third telemarketer before he could even introduce me another phone plan. I said, I'm already on a phone plan and I do no wish to have another one till my contract is over. He said thanks for being polite and wished me a good day.

Latest telemarketer was from some Hong Kong firm asking me in mandarin if I were to buy a watch, which two factors would influence me.

 

Brand  or Price

 

I said both. Then she continue asking me for my name but in a different polite way which I could not comprehend. Then I told her in my very the good mandarin that

I don't understand! peace on you!

Then she spoke in more simplistic way which I comprehended.

So I gave her my chinese name.

After that she said her company is going to held some exhibition in Brisbane and wish I could go and attend to have a look.

Then she proceed to ask for my handphone number.

Yeah my handphone number is

AREYOUDUMB

2739683862

Of course I gave her some excuse that I could not make it and immediately she said thanks and wish well.

How much information are you willing to give to them? That's even crazy to ask for your hp number. What is next? Ask for your birthday and before you know it.

Lo and behold.

Boxes of melamine tainted oreo cookies.

The perfect scam.

 

 

 

 

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol! u actually took the effort to talk to them! haha i had a few of those when i had a land line few years back so annoying!! -_- and yes. they are indian telemarketers too lol

Morgan said...

HAHAHA. yea, just don't have the heart to turn off the phone. Imagine if that was your job, how much stress wud that put on you? When you have to say

"Hi, Good day sir/madam, I am from... *toot toot toot*"

Repeating those few lines! How tiring.

Anonymous said...

V-dafone!